Friday, November 15, 2013

The plaground where Devil slides






     For a nature lover like me especially when it comes to rocks and rock formations, I am sure few will disagree that Utah has a lot to offer. By just passing along the highway going west or east is really scenic.

There is one rock formation there that amazes me. It looks weird and different from most rock formations anywhere. The first time I saw it, I thought it was made by human hands but then I realized that there is no reason for people to build an unusual structure in a remote area. I learned that they call it Devil's Slide because it really looks like a giant slide from the top of a not so tall mountain going down by the highway, it is on the left side if you are going west. It looks like a large playground fit only for the Devil.


The sides of the slide are hard, weather-resistant limestone layers about 40 feet high, 25 feet apart, and several hundred feet in length. In between these two hard layers is a shaly limestone that is slightly different in composition from the outer limestone layers. This middle layer is softer, which makes it more susceptible to weathering and erosion, thus forming the chute of the slide.
With the information I got from Geosights, it is now clear to me how this giant slide came to existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment